Wednesday, June 20, 2007

more critic's notes ...

Here's a comment from Ed Keller, one of the professors teaching at SCI-Arc. Very talented and super smart guy. Just a brief intro to show his amazing accolades:


Edward Keller::architecture, design technology & media
___A|UM Studio & a.CHRONO | partner / principal
___SCI-Arc | MediaSCAPES Postgraduate Program Coordinator
___Columbia GSAPP /SCI-Arc| design & theory faculty


Comments from Ed >>

"I think you are really getting at an interesting problem- as i am sure you know. Funny, I was reading an essay Tony Blair wrote in the Economist a couple weeks ago, titled something like "Things I've Learned" - a kind of ridiculous false modesty or even hubris for a politician of his level, but at the same time an interesting read. One thing he comments on is the changing role of the state. He is discussing it on a domestic level; but he is also implying on a global/geopolitical level. Here it is. Again- it's not Fred Jameson, but it is interesting. I see a very vague, unsophisticated connection here to the kind of scenario thinking that neal Stephenson is using in Snow Crash and Diamond Age.


I guess what I am getting at is: where is the territory you will Claim as a designer in this kind of world?

You reference 'Three Days of the Condor" and you know Jameson writes a bit about that in Geopolitical Aesthetic. ... ... Keep to your agenda and concept! "

3 comments:

Jawn Lim said...

Tangents of Thoughts are good for explorations but always pull yourself back far enough to visually/spatial/intellectually share these ideas with someone other than your own brain. Let us partake of the feast of ideas that strengthen your argument and hypothesis! Stray from writing too much (like what I am doing right now... but I am not doing the thesis so I can do this!!!) Hang in there buddy!

Anonymous said...

It may just be that you are not at this phase yet, but it is hard for me to visualize this "game". Who are the stakeholders? What is the interface? How do you define these parameters without authorship? and lastly, Where is the line between non-utopian and mediocre?

No need to respond. I am just asking these questions out of interest. Great thesis.

Yu Sern Hong said...

Thanks for the comments, Tim. They are all valid and important aspects which I am developing at this moment. Hopefully, things will be made clearer over the next 2 weeks as I seek to resolve these issues with more illustrations. Do check out the progress when you can. Thanks!